If you’re looking to create a website, WordPress is an excellent option to try. It is a popular and reliable platform used by millions of websites globally. Installing WordPress is straightforward, and with some basic instructions, you can easily do it yourself. In this article, we will outline easy steps for WordPress Installation.
1. Getting Started: Preparations before Installing WordPress
Before you install WordPress, it’s essential to prepare for the installation process. Below are some tasks to complete:
- Choose a domain name and register it.
- Sign up for a web hosting account
- Choose a suitable hosting plan that meets your website’s requirements.
- Have an FTP client installed on your computer. This will enable you to transfer files from your computer to the webserver.
2. Step-by-Step Guide to Setting up a Local Server
Before uploading WordPress files to a web server, It is advisable to set up a local server to test your website. The process involves the following:
- Install a local server software such as Wampserver, Xampp, or Mamp on your computer.
- Create a folder in the local server’s root directory. This folder will house your WordPress files.
- Download the latest version of WordPress, extract files and move them to the working folder.
- Start the local server and navigate to the WordPress files using a web browser.
- Follow the instructions to install WordPress.
3. Setting up a Database: The Easy Way
To run WordPress, you’ll need a database. Creating a database might seem tricky, but with tools such as phpMyAdmin, the process becomes easy.
- Ensure you have Xampp, Wampserver or Mamp active to run MySQL
- Open your web browser and navigate to ‘http://localhost/phpmyadmin’ to access phpMyAdmin.
- Click on the ‘New’ button to create a new database.
- Enter a name for the database and select the ‘Collation’ option.
- Press the ‘Create’ button to complete.
- Remember to note down the database name for the WordPress installation process.
4. Uploading WordPress: A Guide to Basic Installation
After setting up the local server and creating a database, it’s time to install WordPress. Follow these straightforward steps:
- Download WordPress and access your website’s control panel using an FTP client.
- Move the WordPress files to the public_html folder in your webserver account.
- Now unpack the files and right-click on the WordPress folder, select “rename” and give it an appropriate name
- Navigate to www.yourdomain.com/yourfoldername to access the WordPress installation page.
- Select the language to use for installation and proceed.
- Enter the database name created earlier in phpMyAdmin and fill in the required fields.
- Finish the necessary installation steps by creating a username and password for your WordPress admin dashboard.
5. Configuring WordPress: Essential Settings to Start With
After installing WordPress, you’ll need to configure the essential settings before making your site go live. These include:
- Data Format and Timezone settings
- General Site Information, including Site Title and Tagline
- User Registration settings
- Permalink structure settings
- Reading settings, including Homepage Display options.
Wrapping Up: Post-Installation Maintenance for WordPress
After successfully installing WordPress and configuring the settings, you need to maintain your site performance. Some crucial tips include:
- Keep your WordPress version updated
- Install and activate essential plugins, including backup and security plugins.
- Regularly backup your entire website to prevent data loss.
- Secure your website by using strong passwords and limiting login attempts.
- Install a cache plugin to improve site speed.
Installing WordPress is easy, and with the right guidance, you can do it yourself. Follow the above guidelines, and you’re good to go. Don’t forget to keep your site safe and speedy through regular maintenance. Have fun creating your website!